Thursday, January 23, 2014

2014 - The Year Ahead

2014 is already shaping as a big year of ultra running and I'm very excited about the year ahead. My big aim this year is to build on my experience of racing internationally last year and hopefully achieve a big OS result. It's a big schedule and it could all go up belly up any time. It's a fine line; looking after my body while still wanting to push the limits of what I ever thought was possible.

January
Narrabeen All Nighter
100km World Champs qualifier. Tick. Done a bit more for good measure.

February
Australian Cross-Triathlon Championships & Dirt Fest MultiSport Festival 
This is held at Lake Crackenback Resort. The Australian Cross Triathlon Championships are the main event but there will also be a 21km Trail Run of which I will be taking part in.

March
Sai Kung 50
I've read and heard so many good things about the trail running scene in Hong Kong that I had to go to experience it for myself. This is a formidable race with a lot of big climbs and descents.



March
Tarawera Ultra Marathon
This is my first race in the Ultra Trail World Tour (UTWT) and will be my second visit to Tarawera. I really love running in New Zealand and Paul Charteris does an exceptional job race directing this one.

April
Buffalo Stampede Ultra
SkyRunning comes to Australia! This promises to be pound for pound the toughest ultra-trail race ever held in Australia. Training up for this will put me in good shape for every other event this year. So the theory goes.


April
The second of my UTWT races. My second crack at this race and I'll be looking to improve on 5th from last year. Tough, tough race.

May
A great concept race over in WA, all money raised goes to the Wings for Life Spinal Cord Research Foundation. With UTMF it will be good to get back on the flat road and see what I can dish out.



May
Number 3 of UTWT. Will be tough to replicate what was a perfect race last year, but I wouldn't miss it for the world!

June
My last race of the UTWT and a dream come true race for me. 'All trails lead to Western'.
August
IAU 100K World Championships
I'll be aiming to improve on my 6:55 from two years ago.

October 
Heysen 105
I'm really looking forward to running in South Australia for the first time on this spectacular course. I will also be involved in this event as a race ambassador.